Sunday, April 4, 2010

Healthy and Wealthy and Wise


So going to the Farmer's market has inspired me to set off on a new 'healthy eating' quest. Not a weight loss quest, but a stride toward wellness. I want to have more energy and improve my health by my 24th birthday, which is in June.

YES, I most definitely need to lose weight. But I am hoping that if I eat right for the right reasons instead of focusing on weight loss and a number on the scale, I might do better. I feel SO down on myself lately, and I know I need to get my butt in gear. So I have decided that starting today (Monday) I am going to take a journey toward better health.

Every day I fear that my little Melody might follow in my very imperfect footsteps, and I know that she already has a genetic disposition for being overweight, and I need to be her example, as her mother. It's a powerful motivation.

So, here are some thoughts about what I want to do...

* Focus on eating when HUNGRY, eating the right portions, eating slowly, and eating the right foods.
* Foods should be the least processed possible. There is a time and place for these foods, but not on a daily basis. Think of food as fuel...would you put crap in to your gas tank of your car? No. So don't put crap in your body! :)
* Keep it simple!! A piece of fish cooked in lemon and some veggies roasted in a tiny bit of olive oil is a nice, simple meal that is easier to digest. Have you seen what is in some of the commercial fast foods?! BLLEECCHH
* Work at first on being more active. I am not in shape by any means but jumping in to an exercise program would likely not work for me, but working on being more active (walks with Melody, dance with Melody, walks with my husband) would be good for our relationships and for our health!
* Drink enough water!!!
DON'T READ THE NEXT ONE IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH BREASTFEEDING!

* (Personal mommy goal) Relactation... I lost my milk supply a month ago, and I want to build it up again, but it will be difficult when I work. It's also been hard since Melody never wanted to latch on. But hopefully I could at least partially relactate for her sake, and eating all this healthy food will help my breastmilk be as full of nutrients for her as possible!

Okay, so those are some goals for myself. If anyone wants to join me starting now I welcome you!! I will keep you posted on how it goes!!

1 comment:

Jeff and Lauren said...

Those are great goals, Lyndsey!! I wish you all the best!